Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter

So...as ridiculous as this is, this blog is in response to a lot of thinking I have done recently about my facebook status. Beings that the Christian community just recently celebrated Easter, I have been giving even more thought to my atheist ways. I have always been bugged by people saying "God Bless" to me despite people telling me that I am over-reacting and whatnot. I am not saying that I get pissed off when someone is just wishing me well, I just get annoyed. Easter has brought this level of annoyance to an increased level.

In trying to figure out what it is that annoys me about all of this, here is what I have come up with:

I think something that bothers me in general are assumptions based on normativity. Maybe this is weird, but I get annoyed when people assume that I am straight. Now, it is true that I do date men, but I think it's just this assumption that pisses me off. There is a large portion of our population that lives always having to fight this stereotype and assumption. Well, I guess I try to fight this normativity as well as a type of unification. And I think that is what pisses me off about wishing me a happy easter. Now I know that sounds ridiculous, but think about it for a second.

In this country there is such an extreme christian-normativity. Well I am not a christian. Some people say that I shouldn't say anything and should just like take the well-wishing. Which, I do to a certain extent. However, it just pisses me off that people assume such a personal thing like religion.

Maybe that's all part of it to. These so-called "religious" holidays are so far removed from religion and spirituality and instead are all about consumerism that it makes me sick. People say happy easter to anyone and everyone without even taking a second to think about the religious connotations of what they are saying. I mean easter is apparently the day the christ rose from the grave all zombie-like, right? Well, I don't believe that happened. So, I don't celebrate easter. So don't assume I do.

I guess it can very easily be thought that I am definitely over-reacting to all this. But honestly, the more I think about it, the more it pisses me off. I mean, I could be jewish, muslim, hindu, christian, agnostic, anything. I know a LOT of christians who would be pissed if when we were hanging out and talking about something good happening in their lives I just responded with "praise be to allah" instead of "thank god." And these are the people that tell me that I shouldn't get upset about someone telling me happy easter. Well, maybe they don't even realize how religious that comment really is. It's just so ridiculous. Now I am all for all religions being able to do whatever makes them happy. They can pray, sing praise, worship in anyway they want. That's the whole point. But there shouldn't be this assumption regarding religion. So maybe I am over-reacting, but I have a voice and I am bound and determined to put that voice to good use. In this case, I am speaking up against the christian-normativity in this country. Don't assume that someone is christian. Ask. Start a dialogue. Understand a culture different than yours. If someone were to just ask me if I celebrate easter before sending me an empty "happy easter" sentiment, maybe we would get a little closer to understanding one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment