Saturday, May 9, 2009

Really? Helen Keller Jokes Pervading our Music?

Ok, so I am home for the weekend. While in the city, I vary rarily listen to the radio. Which can be both a positive and negative thing. I fear that I limit myself to certain genres of music at times. However, I came upon this wonderful jem of a song that made me incredibly happy that I tend to avoid the radio and the sexist/anti-humanist shit that is put on it.

"Don't Trust Me" by 3Oh!3

I wish I were making this up. Here are some of the lyrics.

"Shush girl, shut your lips.
Do the Helen Keller and talk with your hips."

Seriously. No joke. This is what I hear blaring on the radio this morning while having a cup of coffee with my sister. How fucking sick is that? There are so many different things to unpack with this one. First and foremost is the obvious Helen Keller joke. Seriously? "Do the Helen Keller and talk with your hips"? That's appropriate? How does such a disgusting line ever get put into a song? And if it is in a song, how does that song get picked up by a label? And how does it ever get played on the radio? And how are people not up in arms about it?

I am so tired of shit like this being ok to say. Words have power. That's all there is to it. And people who walk around saying shit like this like it is acceptable are disgusting. I don't know how humanity got to the point to not give a fuck about who is hurt. I mean thinking about it. It is all connected.

Why does someone say something like this?

I think it is mainly because people have become far too desensitized. We have removed ourselves from the pain that other people feel. It is sick. I am not a religious person (proud atheist), but I do believe that we are all connected. We are all connected because we are all in this together. I truly believe that I am connected to every other person on this planet because we are all dealing with this shit together. But we have all become so isolated in our own little worlds that we fail to see how our actions affect others.

I mean, we have our core group of friends and family members that we would never want to offend. And we would get pissed if someone made a comment around them that upset them.

Well, it shouldn't matter if that person is your best friend or someone you don't know at all. Everyone feels pain. Everyone cries. Everyone carries burdens with them.

So all this fucked up "desensitized" shit is all connected. Whether it is a musician saying hateful shit like that song or institutionalized prejudice against homosexuals or mass genocide - it is all connected. It is all happening because we have removed ourselves from the bigger picture.

But the reality is that we are all connected. And what hurts someone else, hurts me. And this song is just at the top of my list of things that pissed me off today. I mean really. Come on people. We are all better than this.

1 comment:

  1. Almost as tasteless as this.

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002/aug/24/famine.andrewosborn

    ReplyDelete