Saturday, February 21, 2009

The start of something wonderful?

Have you ever had one of those moments when something little and seemingly insignificant happens in your life, and then, later, your mind starts wandering and you begin applying that one little thing to the rest of your life? Perhaps the only way I can aptly describe this hypothetical situation is by dictating my own experience.

Not too terribly long ago I got my hair cut. Ridiculously small and insignificant, huh? Well, at the end of the actual cutting, the woman (adorable Puerto Rican woman who attempted to convince me that I should join the pageant circuit because of my hair. She was absolutetly adorable and wonderful, even in her attempts at flattery in hopes of a tip (at trap which, of course, I fell prey to)) asked me if I wanted her to blow dry it and style it. I said of course, relishing in the few minutes of pampering that I otherwise would not have received. Well, she started combing my hair and asked me on which side I parted it. Before I had the chance to tell her, she responded "oh nevermind. Your hair naturally falls to this side." Once again awfully insignificant. However, the interesting thing was that I actually parted my hair on the opposing side my entire life. Now, stick with me. I know this sounds unbearably boring and ridiculous.

The significance of all this did not hit me until much later.

For my entire life up until that moment sitting in the chair at the salon, I had trained myself and my hair to lay a certain way. Then, someone I only had known for moments lifted these blinders. My hair NATURALLY fell the other way. Despite all my efforts to foce it the other, this woman who didn't even know me revealed to me that I had been doing things all wrong. I had been working so hard at something that should have come naturally.

Now I know this is still a far cry from some revelation, but what if this is the reality of my life? I have worked so hard and forced myself to be so diligent in my studies and in my work ethic. Along the way, I have repeatedly pushed myself and forced myself to do things that I didn't have the natural inclination to do. Could there be something out there for me that comes "naturally"? Something that just makes sense and doesn't come at the expense of so much pushing and prying?

For some reason I can't get this out of my mind.

Perhaps that is one of the factors that has led me to this blog. One thing that I know does not come "naturally" for me is writing. I am a horrible writer. I love words and semantics, yet I think I lack the ability to put them in some order that is appealing to the ear or eye.

Recently, a person that I have a lot of respect for from afar started a blog. In some odd way, this gave me a certain boost of confidence to attempt to tackle one myself. There is something incredibly therapuetic about cleansing your mind and heart and putting it on paper (or on a computer sceen). So perhaps this is the beginning of an epic failure. Or, much less likely, the start of soemthing wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment